Thursday, 9 August 2007
I'm working from home today since the Sprout had her shots yesterday and is running a fever today. It happened last time, so I was prepared. The shots were not the most shocking/painful part of the appointment however.
Our Ped. is leaving the practice, and our local office is closing! Apparently they don't want to tell anyone about either, but it does explain the unexpected retirement of the most awesome lactation consultant nurse practicioner ever. We initially thought we would just follow the Ped to her new practice, even though its in ANDOVER! But, I'm having second thoughts. Her new practice is a HUGE general practice with just a handful of Peds. One of the major benefits of our current practice is that its all Peds, and that they offer weekend hours when, because its all Ped's. we get to see a Ped. The new practice offers weekend hours, but only Saturday, and only with GP's. I'm not so keen on any of the other Ped's at our current ones local office, but there is one I really like in Plymoth, and it would be about the same drive as ANDOVER! The other downside is hours. Current Ped. is only Wed-Fri, but is in all day. (thus the bonus of the most awesome lactation consultant nurse practictioner ever, before she retired). In her new office she's m-f, but only 7-1:30. So no more cutting out of work early for Dr. apts. I would have to go in late and fight rush hour going back to home/daycare.
So, here is what I am thinking, let me know if it makes sense. I really love our Pediatrican. She listens, she talks to us like we're smart (cause we are), she loves the Sprout and can always calm her down, and really seems to know her stuff. She's also open to and encouraging of breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and alternative therapies. I really don't want to give her up. We'll follow her, and see how it goes. There are a lot of appointments in the first year, so we'll know in short order if we have issues. If we don't like it enough to give up seeing her, we have a backup plan in our old practice and the doc in the other office. We're driving no matter what.
Oh, other downside, new practice seems to only have rights to Unity. Never been there, no idea where it is. Not totally comfortable with going to a hospital that doesn't have a children's specialty. I do believe some of you (Syl) have experience in north metro hospitals and may know more. Opinions? If we had another kid, I would either have to get another OB, or not have said next kid seen by other kid's practice in the hospital (not a big deal unless there are complications again).

6 comments:
you can't go to the ped. and not post stats! ;)especially with that weed of yours! How tall is she now?
Anyway, I am not exactly clear on where Andover is... so I don't know how much of a trek it would be, but the visits do start spreading out so that should help. Making the trip once every 3 months, and then once every 6 months is way better than every month. Of course, in an emergency, you might want to be closer...
As for any subsequent children, I'd keep the OB (if you like them) and just have the baby seen by the pediatritian at the hospital. They know their stuff, plus you'll be more experienced with the nursing thing. Are you planning on a sprout sibling already? ;)
No new sprouts in the plans, especially since I'm unsure about risking another bout of pre eclampsia. However, these are things you think about.
I dunno - maybe 'cuz I've never had a long-term relationship with an OB, but your kid's (kids') ped is the one you use for years - I'd think if you're really happy with yours, stick with her - or get a recommendation from her for somebody closer that has a similar style/outlook.
But if you love your OB, or have had/expect to maybe have a more difficult pregnancy, then stick with your OB.
(I was at Woodwinds for Pumpkin and LOVED it. Very progressive, new, nice, pretty.)
My kids were both delivered at Unity and my OB is the best. I can give you their info if it comes up. One was the doc who worked us through our miscarriage issues and the other was the doc who worked us through the rest. They have a couple more, too, but those are the two that delivered mine.
Unity has a full time lactation nurse and their staff is VERY well trained, so anytime of the day or night, they can help you.
Plus, even though they don't have children's right there, they are connected to Abbott and have no hesitation to helivac over there.
oh yeah and by this;
"just have the baby seen by the pediatritian at the hospital." - I meant just during those first few days at the hospital - then take the newborn to Sprout's same doctor from there on out. I should have clarified better.
I knew what you meant. After all, we hadn't met out Dr. before we had her, and ended up just taking what was available.
Post a Comment