The politics of charity.

Wednesday, 22 August 2007

I work for a pretty cool company. Every year they participate in a number of charity type programs, and are a major supporter of a local school. Its a good thing that they encourage volunteering and donation, since our FC's make oodles of money. I'm convinced that the people who make less participate more sometimes, however.
I'm all too glad to donate to these things, and at a minimum, give my time to shopping. I mean really, you're going to encourage me to go shopping, and because no one else will do it, I don't even have to spend my own money for everything. How can I pass that up?
So, the point. I was at the T downtown today shopping for school supplies, and some of my coworkers were there. I was picking out some really cool rulers, and they pointed out how I could get the cheaper ones. Basically, get the kids the cheapest stuff possible. My reaction, while I can't confirm it, I'm pretty sure my parents got help with my school supplies at least once. At a minimum, I got the cheap stuff. I wore second hand clothes too. Me = Not cool. I feel for the kids getting this stuff. The kids that get the stuff I'm buying most likely have second hand clothes too. The last thing they need is Rose Art crayons, cheap rulers and the ugly backpack. So when I do this, I get some cheaper stuff, but I also get a cool pencil case, really fun folders for the "decorative" ones. When I do adopt a family, I make sure they get a toy, that girls get girly winter coats, etc.
I figure quality matters, and generosity matters, even I don't scrimp for every penny. And maybe, someday when they have a job, they remember getting the cool stuff, and do it for some other kid.

3 comments:

Syl said...

It was the crayons that killed me. What I wouldn't have given for the box of 48 crayons.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Yeah, those 64 boxes - Wow! Jealousy!

And as a former K1 teacher, the Roseart crayons SUCK. Markers are fine, but their crayons are worthless.

Happy Veggie said...

Yeah, I'm a crayola girl all the way, I just wasn't allowed to have them as a kid. One of my first living on my own silly purchases was a super big, with sharpener, box of Crayola's. Red Orange and Orange Red. *swoon*