Caucussing

Monday, 4 February 2008

*puts down soapbox*

Ok, so I feel the need to express myself politically. Can't help it, it was bred into me. It was also shoved down my throat repeatedly. Which is why I have nightmares about caucuses. I hate them. I hate the party brass stroking themselves and the rabble rousers making trouble, and everyone talking about how awesome their party is and how they're gonna change the world. (lots of reason to rebel as a downtrodden DFL farmer in the 80's)

I'm sure my big metro caucuses are going to be much better, but I'm afraid to go. I know I can walk in and vote for person I like and leave, but that means I can't vote for Stuart Smalley. And seriously, I think he'd do a good job. We need more cyni... I mean satirists in the Senate. There is also the issue of my needing to breastfeed at the event (I realize its odd to be worried about breastfeeding at a liberal thing, but I've got shy nipples and a curious kid). However, I can help make history. I really want to support the chance at the first female Prez ever (everyone else is doing it, why can't we. I mean really India, England... we suck), but I'm voting for the other guy... here comes the soapbox part, warned you didn't I... because for two thirds of my life, one of two families has had the top job, and I think a change will do you good.

Now don't worry, I'm not gonna try to change your mind and I won't be changing mine, but, I just couldn't talk about my fear of caucuses without talking about who I like and how it will get me over going to the damn thing.

*gets off soapbox*

2 comments:

Pusher said...

Heh. Puck and I were just discussing this last night. He came down firmly on the side of caucuses=bad. I kind of like them in theory, but not in practice.

Still, I love voting. And I especially love voting in situations like this, where I'm choosing between candidates that I like, and I think any of them would be awesome. And yes, I know they all have drawbacks and unpalatable positions and they're Politicians all the way to the bone and blah-blah-obligatory-cynic-cakes. Pbbbblt. I don't care. I'm happy!

Also, you can talk politics with me anytime. I don't fall into the "not to be discussed in polite society" camp, and if I took political differences personally I'd be estranged from my entire family by now. :-)

Kashka said...

Thanks to 18 months of working for a Congressman (which, even though I wasn't technically allowed to, meant 18 months of constant campaigning) I'm not able to do much more in the political area than voting. Having to sit in a room with people I don't know wanting to express their opinion without interruption, particularly politics = hives.

But, since this is a room with people I know, I'll say that I've come to the same conclusion as you -- I dislike dynasties (Yay, Giants!)