Tuesday, 5 February 2008
Yeah, so, never seen turnout like this before.
And my dear darling Dems, they lack organization skills, paper, and a sharpie.
Me to guy I know from the bus: yeah, you guys need better organization. And signs.
Him: You know how many people usually show up for this. 40.
*yeah, there were like two hundred there, and the line was out the door*
They were expecting to not even START the actual caucus until 8. Since I had to feed the Sprout, I left. I would have almost liked to have stayed and nominated myself to help be party leadership, because I know to bring paper and sharpies, but you that would just be living up to my parents expectations.
I'm still a little bitchy about the whole organization/preparedness thing. Here is why. Party brass must have their heads up their ass, because how could you not know how popular this election is going to be, and how well the cantidates (one in particular, hello he filled T*rget Center) had done to get people passionate about things for the first time in a long time. Not to mention, high minority neighborhood, and they have more at stake than ever before and really feel that the process has something for them. I mean really, who doesn't bring paper, sharpies, and I forgot the last thing, tape, to any major people event.
I'm almost tempted to go back and run for something on a platform of paper, tape and goddamn sharpies.

4 comments:
Final count, almost 300. Overwhelmingly for the guy I like.
Um. Huh. *soapbox*
I know you know those people, the "party brass" you're unhappy with -- most them are unpaid volunteers. Yes, it could have been better organized, BUT, most of those folks spent a lot of their spare time just getting what you saw together. One of my co-workers has made many sacrifices so that her husband could continue his political volunteerism. If it was so important to all of the folks that showed up that everything be well organized, more of them could have helped with that work up front. *end soapbox*
I don't mean to say I don't appreciate what they do. I grew up as a kid of those unpaid volunteers. (who was regularly put to work, I might add) While circumstances are such that I couldn't stay, I have the connections and plan on volunteering in the future. Just me and my sharpie.
From what I've heard from others, mine was more unprepared than most. Given what previous turnout has been in my neighborhood, I'm not entirely shocked, but I was disappointed at how they handled it. The dem leadership in my area is a long family dynasty, who in my opinion discourages involvement by people they find "undesirable", the very people we're suposed to be working for. It means I'm pretty jaded about what they do. Basically, take my bitching with a grain of salt.
Post a Comment