Saturday, 8 September 2007
We did our test, and its pretty official. All of my frozen milk is bad. I'm guessing its the lipase combined with the defrost cycle on the fridge. So far I've been able to get my milk to last over the weekend (Thursday to Tuesday didn't however), but the freezer stash is out. I've thawed August and July milk and same issue. It makes me wanna gag, and she refuses it. I haven't counted it up yet (and I'm afraid I really will cry if I do), but I'm estimating around 150 ounces. Even I find a way to scald/store, and if I go ape shit on pumping between now and mid October, I don't think I'll have the 75+ ounces I'll need for my trip.
The plan it to clean out the basement, get a chest freezer, and start scalding my milk. Seems a lot of women have had good luck with doing it in bottle warmers, so that's what I'm hoping to do. I have one, just need an instant read thermometer to devote to the process as well.
So, that's the plan, but now I have another question. A question I never planned on having to ask since I had the super boobs. How in the hell do you pick a formula to use? I have some samples, but that's not making an educated decision. Daycare uses a Nestle product with Iron, so that wouldn't cost me anything for daycare, but I don't know if that's best either. Syl? AKJ? Help? I'll most likely call the Dr. office too, but I need some mom opinions.

5 comments:
Oh, hon! How awfully disappointing! I was terribly impressed with how much milk you had socked away because I could never get farther ahead than about 12-20 oz. when Pumpkin was at daycare. But to have it all bad! Oh, no! And when you're trying to gear up for a trip?!?!?! ARGH!
Sorry I can't help with the formula question 'cuz I've never given it to either girl. (But had I stayed working with Pumpkin, chances are good we might have had to supplement 'cuz I was barely keeping up with her needs pumping at school.)
Best of luck though with the formula search & the new (more steps involved) pump & freeze process!
Oh no!!! Sorry, I can't answer the formula thing either- I'd just try whatever your Ped. reccomends (and hope sprout's tummy is ok with it).
Are you sure it's a lipase issue? Maybe the power outages you had thawed it more than you thought? Did you store it on the side of the freezer? (Not that it really matters if it's all spoiled *cry*) There's some good info here on how to test fresh milk (about halfway down the page)
http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/worknursetips.asp
I kept it off of the back of the fridge, but its still near the side. I put it in a separate container so it wouldn't be super close to the parts that thaw. Maybe it was still too close. Based on what happened to the fresh that went bad quicker than standards, I'm still guessing I have at least a little excess lipase.
We got a good start cleaning out the part of the basement where I think we can put a deep freeze. Just need to finish that and get one. I may do a sears run soon.
Good Start is absolutely the best. It's not nearly as foamy as the other ones and doesn't cause the gas, etc., because of it. We tried the others, but there was a huge difference.
Try her on it a few times before you go. Also, to really reduce the gas and air in the formula, mix some formula and put it in the refrigerator. Warm it up when you need it. It lets the air settle out of it even more, and it can stay good in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Oh, and sign up at their website, http://www.verybestbaby.com/Public/Default.aspx, they'll send you samples and awesome coupons.
Post a Comment