Friday, 15 June 2007
I saw this article in the Strib today (apologies if you have to login to read it). Having known some really loving wonderful large dogs, including chow chows, I was a little irked. So I sent off this letter to the guy who is proposing the bill. I also copied my representative.
Subject: Mr. Lesch, you make me ashamed to call myself a member of the DFL
I've always thought of us DFL types as better informed. You obviously don't know anything about dogs if you think that it has to do with the breed. It has to do with the owner. Unfortunately there are some crummy owners out there, and crummy owners tend to favor certain dog breeds that they think are cool by their reputation. Its a self perpetuating issue, but the banning dogs, good dogs, isn't the solution. A teacup yorkie is just as capable of a horrible bite, but because its a small dog, people ignore it. I can tell you from experience that a miniature schnauzer hurts just as much as a big dog. If you're going to start banning dogs, lets ban stupid people too. I propose starting by banning you. Or better yet, why not try education and information. Penalties for not being a good owner of all dogs that bite, not just big ones. Assistance with spay and neuter so that there are less unwanted dogs. Why not a little positive instead of negative.
Sincerely,
Veggie
District 58A
This is what I got in response. I'm hoping it means he got that I was joking about the banning part...
Dear Veggie:
I've already been banned - several times over in fact, so you're going
to have to take a number and wait in line to ban me. Thanks for your
thoughts, though.
John Lesch
Oh, it took him less than an hour to respond to someone not in his district. He's an email addict!

1 comments:
The ban will never fly. What would you do with the dogs that are owned today? Are we putting down thousands of dogs en masse? I think that's a bit of a flaw in the plan.
Post a Comment