One

Monday, 14 April 2008

Dear Sprout,

You're one. When did that happen?

I know you're on your way to starting school, dating, junior high, high school, college and maybe kids some day, but would you please slow down? I mean seriously, I can't keep up with the crawling, the opening cupboards, the climbing stairs (thanks mom), the talking?!?

I know I can't stop it, and I'm trying to enjoy it. It helps that you're so darn cute, so easy to deal with, even when you figured out how to shake your head no. At least I can still hang you by your toes until you giggle.

So anyways, happy Birthday kiddo. But lets slow down a bit before the next one.

-MaMa


So, some updates....

-For Sprout's first birthday, she got a doozy of a double ear infection. We were talked out of tubes before because it was almost spring. We are not letting that happen again.
- With the ear infection came something we had started to notice last time, but this time was disconcertingly pronounced. Hearing loss, almost complete hearing loss, and backsliding on language development. We noticed it a week ago Sunday, made an appointment for Wed with a Dr. we liked, and then fretted until then. Happily it has cleared up with the two (2!) shots of antibiotics. We have another follow up this Wednesday. The good news is that since her ears started clearing up, she seems to be hearing fine, and language is coming back. We even have some new things, like Mama, N's, and this morning, Down (which beats trying to hurl herself out of my lap)
- Found at the first ear infection apt last week, she's getting in molars.
- I didn't kill anyone at her birthday party, but I did find a side effect of mn passive aggressive. If you say the party should end "soon" meaning maybe in the next hour, everyone stands up and leaves. Unfortunately, this also gets rid of relatives you're enjoying seeing.
- There is great joy in realizing your kid didn't get a single electronic toy for their birthday.
- I love chubby little baby cheeks. I'm going to remind her how cute they were at every embarrassing moment I can.

4 comments:

Pusher said...

Happy birthday, Sprout!

And Veggie, just try to remember it's a good thing that she's growing and changing and learning all these new things. After all, that's kind of the point.

DiploWhat said...

Happy birthday. Now, get that kid some ear tubes!

Christina said...

Happy birthday, Sprout! Glad to hear the language development is progressing again now that the ear infection is clearing up.

And congrats on no electronic toys - that's amazing. Did you survive without any stuffed animals, too?

Happy Veggie said...

Yes, unless you count the one that we got her because she started hugging it in the store. Not that we're suckers like that or anything.