No, I don't need a break...

Wednesday, 3 October 2007

There seems to be a lot of attention and fussing about giving me a break lately. Most of it comes from people with "Grand" in their names. They seem to think that I need a break from dealing with the Sprout. None of them read this, but I would just like to say, I don't need one.
Maybe its because she's such an easy going kid, maybe its because she eats every hour and a half when I'm home at night, and sleeps most of that time anyways, or maybe its because I'm gone from the house, and her, almost 50 hours a week, but I don't need a freakin' break. Her dad doesn't need one either. When she's asleep, I'm not rushing out the door to socialize, I'm doing laundry/dishes/sleeping myself. If I'm going to socialize, its best if she can come with. The fact is, she's fun/funny/goofy/cute and I miss her when I don't spend time with her.
I realize that you want time with her too, and I'm sorry you don't get this since you stayed home or came from a generation of men who weren't as involved, but she's going to be six months old next week and I already am afraid that I'm missing too much. Sorry, but being my parent doesn't make your needs more important than mine when it comes to my kid. Maybe if we have another, maybe when she has temper tantrums, maybe when she figures out how to slam a door, then we'll talk. In the mean time, given the choice, I'd rather watch her discover her toes more than any of my old hobbies.
And while we're at it. I'm not you. I'm not going to parent like you, and while I turned out just fine, my doing it differently than you is not a critcism of you, its just my way of doing it and it does not need to be questioned.

Note: I've got family coming to town, and I needed to get it out of my system before they got here.

4 comments:

DiploWhat said...

I know I'm not looking forward to these sorts of arguements when we're overseas and the grands will be wanting us to come back to the US every single R&R/vacation we get. Ain't gonna happen.

Happy Veggie said...

Yeah, Colorado, Fergus Falls and Red Wing are bad enough, I can't image an ocean and international travel.

Syl said...

domestic travel is bad enough...

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Can I just say, "Been there, done that?" about the travel? Granted, since it was SO far, the grands came to us more than we went there.

But you know what? I did need/enjoy the breaks. Probably because I am/was doing the 24/7 routine and didn't mind some time away.

But the "I'm not going to parent like you, and while I turned out just fine, my doing it differently than you is not a criticism of you, its just my way of doing it and it does not need to be questioned."? Yeah, I hear you. Not that they actually question... but you can tell anyway! :)