Just stuff...

Monday, 21 May 2007

My love hate relationship with Starbucks continues (yes, at times even I can hate the mothership). While I am finding them a very good place to nurse with their comfy chairs, liberal staff, and good stuff to drink (hydration and all), there are issues. Staff inability to make a drink right continues, and the new crummy thing, many of their restrooms don't have diaper chaning facilities. Seriously, in this day and age, with all of their kiddy friendly drinks, they don't have a place to change a diaper. So I changed Sprout's in front of everyone, then nursed her, so :P.

In other nursing news, the Galleria in Edina rocks. They have a family restroom with a glider! A really nice leather glider, perfect for nursing in. Just totally cool. I continue to be amazed and dismayed about the facilities available to nursing moms. I do believe I'm becoming a lactivist. I've always thought that breastfeeding the best option if you can do it, and with the medical community backing me up, I fail to understnad why the world in general isn't more accomodating. The other news is that we're working on switching positions. Sprout has outgrown the football hold. She isn't tollerating having her legs bunched up when we're on the couch, so I've had to go to the cradle hold. She feeds for longer, which I don't understand... How can a hold make a difference in length of feed? And if she is actually eating more and not just taking longer, just how big is she going to be?

And finally... I feel really guilty about disposable diapers. They come with a bunch of negatives that really go against my upbringing. I try to rationalize them to both myself and my mother, and I guess its good that I think about their impact. Especially since I have a child that seriously goes through them. The kid can poop. However, my guilt is not enough for me to go to cloth, either on my own or with a service. Day care wouldn't cooperate anyways, and I've cleaned enough dirty diapers... thank you mom and Katy. Get to the point, I know. I found something that at least helps a little. I found Seventh Generation unbleached diapers and wipes. Still disposable, but less dioxins going in to the environment. The cost is similar to premium diapers (that we were getting anyways because pooper blows out the cheapies), and I can get a good price by subscribing to them on Amazon. The wipes are here, and the diapers should be here tomorrow. I'll report on if they're any good. The reviews I saw were pretty decent since they improved their design recently. If all goes well, hopefully the guilt will at least reduce a little.

1 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Huh - let me know how they work out. I now have *sigh* TWO in diapers, so I feel like I'm changing them constantly.

Yeah, I get frustrated with no changing facilities, too. And especially when they're only in the women's bathroom! Sometimes it's nice to have Mr. Kluges take a turn when we're out and about! In Ireland they were NEVER in men's bathrooms, but here I've seen the sign on the door for a few anyway.

And yeah, I've changed Pumpkin's diaper on booth seats in restaurants, too. If they don't like it, maybe they'll think about putting in a changing spot!