Housekeeping randomness

Monday, 10 March 2008

Week before last, I worked 64 hours. Last week I worked 47.5 hours. I'm a bit toasty, but I'm itching to blog. This post is just a laundry list of things I've been meaning to post.

My friend Kristen, who I've been a very bad friend to since having the Sprout, lost her mom last month to a long fight with breast cancer. I met her mom once, at her wedding. She had been going through chemo at the time, and made some really good jokes about her wig. I have huge respect for anyone who can be going through something so horrible and still have a sense of humor. I'm bummed I didn't get to know her better, I don't think I'll be able to see a short red haircut without thinking of her wig. I've wanted to do the breast cancer walk since I lost my great aunt, and maybe this will be the year. With a red wig, of course.

The Sprout is a crawling machine. I don't know what I was wishing for, but she now chases the dog, and tries to push up on her toes. I fear walking, but I'm still looking forward to it. I've already started looking online for better shoes since I suspect walking will come at the same time as mud, and we'll need something better than leather booties for any outdoor adventures.

Speaking of a walking Sprout, I'm struggling with how to deal with my neighbors. Here is the run down.

- They are not good dog owners. Their one has socialization issues and has tried to attack Tess. They are left to roam their back yard, they dig under the fence, and the one can get up on their garage roof and could easily jump into our yard if we didn't have a tree in the way.
- Since the tree came down last year, we've been plugging the holes they dig with pieces of wood.
- We need to remove the wood because its not safe for the kid, oddly enough, neither are the holes or their dogs being in our yard.
- We need to remove the remaining tree because of a larger drainage issue, not to mention I want a damn garden.

So now I'm stuck with how to keep my yard and family safe, while dealing with their piss poor pet ownership. Just to make things more interesting, she works for the city, in the department where I would have to report her. Oh, and there is the whole parking thing. They have, as of this morning four vehicles parked in front. They have one parking space in front of their house... you do the math.

Among the many things that I love about my husband and my life, I got some great friends as part of the deal. This last weekend was a blast and exactly the relaxing diversion I needed. Seeing Syl's spawn was hilarious. They are adorable. Not to mention, getting to see Attilla was great. She's growing up so fast.

2 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

For my two cents, I'd recommend trying to talk to them first. Politely, and constructively. Talk about how you are concerned about keeping your child safe and that you've noticed some potential problems, ie: the possibility of their dogs getting into your yard. You might be pleasantly surprised with something like "Oh, I know! We keep meaning to do something about that." and then you can talk specifics.

Or they'll be horrible, in which case you can then report them (even if it's her department) knowing that you tried to solve things more neighborly first.

Or somewhere in between and you can try to work together for a while and then end up moving up the line if necessary.

But unless the parking is really a problem for you right now, I'd wait and not address that issue at the same time. YOu don't want to seem b*tchy by brining up a laundry list of complaints, but you do want to make sure your child is safe, so keep that in the forefront of your mind and be polite, firm, and try to work out a solution together.

(There you go - well more than 2 cents worth of take-it-or-leave-it, it's-your-life advice from someone who has no dog, and whose neighbors on the side with a dog are very, very nice and responsible. *grin*)

Christina said...

I'd also suggest trying to talk to them first. Phrase it so it seems like you're concerned for their dogs (you don't want your child or your dog to hurt theirs if they got into your yard, etc.). That way they don't feel like they're being attacked. Now, if they are feral neighbors like we had, well, that's another matter.

Oh, and for shoes, we LOVE Preschoolians or Pedi Peds. Both are great for new walkers.