Saturday, 29 March 2008
We are done with baby food in this house. I have brought in what we have left (which is a lot since I had just stocked up), to work for the other women who use the mother's room to have, since their kids are younger than Sprout.
Along with all of this real food, we have less nursing. I think we are finally starting the process of weaning.
So... how does this work? When did y'all do it? She is willing to use a sippy for water mixed with a very very small amount of juice, but not enough to get any really meaningful amount of liquid, so I would fear dehydration.
Also, anyone willing to answer when they totally gave it up?

4 comments:
You might need to help her by holding the cup up for her. My kids couldn't really tip the cup up far enough to drink anything until after their first birthday. It was like they just got it one day and I couldn't seem to do anything to speed that day up.
Yeah, we've already switched varities to help her hold and tip it, and we usually "lounge" on the couch leaning back in our laps or beside us to help with tipping, and so we're there to hold when she gets lost. I continue to hope that day will be soon, kind of like the day she decided the baby food was for babies.
I don't remember when we finished switching from baby food to all real food for Pumpkin, but it was gradual. Penguin's enjoying quite a lot of table food now, but not enough that I'm going to get rid of her other food, especially for the convenience of travelling with the little plastic packages.
Weaning for us was also very, very gradual. I think the last time Pumpkin nursed she was 20 months old, but it'd been down to just one before-bed nursing for quite a while.
Penguin doesn't take a bottle, but she will drink from a plain cup with help and can sort of do a sippy cup if she gets the right end in her mouth. :)
Do you have the Nursing Mothers Companion book? There is a good section in there on weaning. We also did things very gradually, and replaced one nursing session at at time with whole milk - I think we did the post nap/pre dinner one first. She also needed help with the cup at first, but yeah, one day they just get it. We also went down to one nursing a day for a while, but for us it was the early a.m. one. She was fully weaned at around 17 months.
Post a Comment