Wednesday, 21 February 2007
A post, in three parts.
Part 1 : Last week, there was a day in the office when it was, kid you not, 84 degrees in my cube. I'm pretty sure that I have the warmest spot on the floor. Our admin seriously laughed at my discomfort and near fainting because was comfortable for the first time ever in the office. I was not amused while I tried not to be sick.
Part 2: Last Thursday I came home and the house was 57 degrees. It should be somewhere around 67. Turns out the furnace was having some issues. If anyone has any interest in electrical engineering, I can explain in more detail. Basically, its old, and the young punk who looked at it at first thought for sure it would need to be replaced. That included tearing out the asbestos taped duct work. He gave us a couple of miniature space heaters, and left us until Friday when one of the old guys, who do "modernization" work, would come take a look at it. I spent all of Thursday night and Friday waiting for the guy trying to figure out how we could afford a new furnace, daycare, and a crib for the sprout to sleep in. He showed up, said, oh yeah, let me just replace this part (that young guy said wasn't replaceable) and we'll have you up and running. He finished in less than an hour because it "was a near perfect fit". The bad news, its not completely perfect and may not last 20-30 years, only 10-15, when it will need to be replaced again. My fear is mostly that he won't be there anymore, and I'll be left to young punk who wants me to give up my nice quiet gravity furnace. I love the old guy, partially because he loved my dog.
Part three: I came in to work on Tuesday after enjoying the nice working furnace all weekend, only to have the heat now be broken at work. Which means, its tolerable. It was 67 when I got in, and today is still only up to 73. I'm in heaven. My manager was taking notes in a meeting wearing mittens. I would feel bad, but I'm in heaven.
Summary: I really really am amazed at those of you who were very pregnant in summer. I feel like my thermostat is all messed up. So much so I carry a thermometer with me to make sure I haven't completely lost it. (And because I'm fighting a cold at the moment and I because of outside temp issues, can't always tell if I have a fever or not) Ajd gets worried when I don't wear a big winter coat unless its sub zero, while I'm basking in the 40 degrees like it was 60 out. We'll put this on the list of things I didn't know about before I said, "Oh, lets get pregnant".

4 comments:
You hadn't heard of the temp control issues? Huh. I knew about that one. I hope you're able to stay cool :-)
It gets better- after you have the baby and your hormones are trying to regulate, you'll get some serious hot flashes. They go away in a day or two though. But the night after I had Attila, I seriously thought the nurses were trying to fry me. It wasn't them, it was just me.
I started wearing sandals in late February last year. Consider the sprout your own little internal furnace.
I actually started wearing my Crocs to work. I realize they are ugly things, but they're at least black. And bonus is my feet fit in them.
Post a Comment